REPLACE A PASSPORT OVERSEAS:  The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly.  Please provide:

  • A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)

  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)

  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)

  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)

  • Police Report, if available

  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)

  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application).

When you report the loss or theft of your passport, you must complete a statement describing the circumstances under which it was lost or stolen. You can use the U.S. Department of State form DS-64 for this purpose, or simply execute a sworn statement before the consular officer describing what happened.

A police report is not mandatory but can help confirm the circumstances of the loss or theft.  Don’t spend time obtaining a police report if doing so will cause you to miss a flight or delay your travel unreasonably.

The normal passport fees are collected from applicants for replacement passports. Applicants unable to pay the fee will be asked to provide names of persons they feel would be able to assist them financially if there is sufficient time. See our information about Financial Assistance to U.S. citizens abroad and Sending Money Overseas to U.S. Citizen in an Emergency.  However, if:

  • The applicant is the victim of a serious crime; or

  • The applicant is a victim of a disaster

and the applicant does not have and cannot reasonably be expected to obtain money to pay the fees before continuing travel, the passport fee may be waived and a limited-validity passport will be issued.  When the person applies for a full-validity passport upon their return to the United States, the regular passport fee will be charged for the replacement passport. 

Most U.S. embassies and consulates cannot issue passports on weekends or holidays when the embassy/consulate is closed.  All U.S. embassies and consulates have after-hours duty officers available to assist with life or death emergencies of U.S. citizens abroad.  Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate after-hours duty officer for assistance if you have an emergency need to travel or have been the victim of a serious crime.

Duty officers must focus primary attention on life or death emergencies.  In most cases, except for serious emergencies, a replacement passport will not be issued until the next business day.